Maryland Rock Raiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maryland Rock Raiders Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My CJ7 project update

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
crazyjimmy
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
crazyjimmy

Male Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2009-02-03

My CJ7 project update Empty
PostSubject: My CJ7 project update   My CJ7 project update EmptySun May 16, 2010 10:15 pm

I filled th CJ7 with gas and found out the fill neck hoses are dry rotted. Gas every where.
on order tomorrow AM. New sending unit, new hoses and new steel lines back to front for the vent fuel return and primary fuel.

I found a hard top (free) and maybe the back window for it also.

Parts on Order and in FEDEX cloud as we speak: Radiator, fuel filter, something else (cant remember) Thank god for Rock Auto.

Parts replaced: Motor Mounts, front calipers, master cylinder, 24 inch piece of 2 inch muffler pipe to replace cat, removed two 5 gallon buckets of wires and vac hose and UI Emissions, removed hot box above the glove box and one on the Dr. inner fender, replaced with a MSD box. Simpler and cleaner. Now a vaccum line to the distro, big one to the PVCs, and one to brake booster. Took off the old tires (they looked new but were very dry rotted. Now it has a set of 33 inch swamper, boy they are noisy. Added a temp guage. The Tach had wirenuts for some of the connections and was mounted with cable ties, fix or loose. The ignition tumbler was a pain to remove not typical pin or paper clip trick. Needed a key, had none. Got it removed (insert 3 hours of cussing here) and now it has a key. The lock out hubs were loose (common issue) they were the 5 bolt lock outs, Shaggy's CJ5 has the 6 bolt, (he should keep and eye on these). Now there are much longer grade 8 bolts in the hubs, hope these don't come loose.

still to be done, Many bolts are loose on it. Spring bolts, back bumper, (found this while dropping gas tank), needs a good going over, seats need a couple more bolts and the roll bar needs more and heavier hardware. Seat Belts are not great but contemplating upgrading.

I have drivin it and it seems ok, did notice the front tires are wider at the bottom than the top / \.
I hope it is just ball joints. I am probably gonna pick up those outers from Paul T.
Back to top Go down
bleoh

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-08-28

PostSubject: Re: My CJ7 project update   My CJ7 project update EmptyMon May 17, 2010 10:02 am

I had a trip last year with my CJ that I had to tighten the hubs every 300 yards or so. I went with the Stage 8 hardware and it works great.

Brian
Back to top Go down
crazyjimmy
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
crazyjimmy

PostSubject: Re: My CJ7 project update   My CJ7 project update EmptyMon May 17, 2010 11:54 pm

todays input

Ordered the two hoses for the gas tank, (the fill and vent tubes to the fill neck).
Also ordered the broken strap and the tank sending unit. alll for $60 shipping included. (4WD Parts)
--- has any one ever seen a brass float ball crack on he sending unit?

I was given a back hatch for the hard top. Thanks Bullet.

I just ordered a T handle and key set for hatch. $26 also included shipping.(Auto Truck Toys.com)

The FEDEX and UPS guys know my house.
Back to top Go down
crazyjimmy
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
crazyjimmy

PostSubject: Re: My CJ7 project update   My CJ7 project update EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 12:20 am

The fedex guy actually knocks and waits for me to get the package,
I give him a bottle of cold water each visit now.

T-Handle fit like a glove and so did those Orange Seat Belts.

every hose ans bolt have been touched, except the one I forgot, will idntify itself on the trail. Shocked

The CJ7 started falling on its face after 100 yards of hard acceleration?????

Changed the fuel filters, even though the tank was off and I cleaned it,
put new steel lines and new filters and fuel pump. Figured the carb had crud in it.
the inside of the carb was amazingly dirty inside, this weber should not have been running,
after 3 cans of air 2 cans of carb cleaner and 30 or so Qtips, thought I had it.
Now it would go a long time and just fall on its face, almost like it was running out of gas.
ordered another weber and Shaggy swapped it for me (I work nights). Runs like a scallded kitten now. Just some little stuf like cutting trailer chains to length. installing the CB, and the dozen or so of nightmares that will raise their ugly heads.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My CJ7 project update   My CJ7 project update Empty

Back to top Go down

My CJ7 project update
Page 1 of 1