Maryland Rock Raiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maryland Rock Raiders Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sand blasting and powder coating

Go down 
+2
FallstonYJ
chefdab
6 posters
AuthorMessage
chefdab

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Sand blasting and powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Sand blasting and powder coating   Sand blasting and powder coating EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Does anyone here know a good place to get something sand blasted and powder coated? My rock rails have seen better days. The old powder coat is flaking off and they are starting to rust. I'd like to get them fixed up before the cold weather hits. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
FallstonYJ

FallstonYJ

Male Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Sand blasting and powder coating   Sand blasting and powder coating EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 6:39 pm

Grateful Red had some parts cleaned and coated up in PA; CHEAP & great job.

I am sure Chris will post up with the info.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
mdcj7

Male Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Sand blasting and powder coating   Sand blasting and powder coating EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 10:01 pm

I would just sand it down and paint it it's only going to happen again if you take it wheeling
Back to top Go down
natedogg_66

natedogg_66

Male Number of posts : 232

PostSubject: Re: Sand blasting and powder coating   Sand blasting and powder coating EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Rattle can a beautiful thing. Mess it up give it a quick touch up that is what my front bumper is done with.
Back to top Go down
chefdab

PostSubject: Re: Sand blasting and powder coating   Sand blasting and powder coating EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 11:15 pm

I was trying to touch them up today but found out they were a lot worse than I originally thought. Getting the old powder coat (the stuff that's not flaking off) is pretty hard in itself. And the rust wasn't too easy either. I was using a wire wheel on my cordless drill. I discharged one battery in an hour and barely made a dent on the rust. Even if I do just rattle can them (my original plan), it would still probably be best if I could get them blasted to make sure I'm down to bare metal before respraying them. I'm not sure the wire wheel and sandpaper is going to cut it. I don't want them rusting from the inside out if I don't get them clean enough before spraying. So does anyone know a place to at least get them blasted first?
Back to top Go down
FallstonYJ

FallstonYJ

PostSubject: Re: Sand blasting and powder coating   Sand blasting and powder coating EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 12:25 am

PM Chris Lloyd for the information about the place in PA.

As I recall it, they blasted his tube fenders, burned off anything remaining in some type of blast furnace, put some type of primer/sealer on them and then powder coated them......................at a cost of about $25 - $35 a piece.

Those fenders have been through hell and back since we put them on and the only bad spots that I know of are from rolling RED a time or two. affraid
Back to top Go down
Grateful Red
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
Grateful Red

Male Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Sand blasting and powder coating   Sand blasting and powder coating EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 12:56 pm

Tom is correct.

I got all four of my poison spyder flat fenders and crush corners done for $25 a piece.

The place is called Keystone Koating in Litiz, PA

www.keystonekoating.com
Back to top Go down
http://lloyder05.blogspot.com/
chefdab

PostSubject: Re: Sand blasting and powder coating   Sand blasting and powder coating EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 3:37 pm

Thanks. I'll check them out.
Back to top Go down
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

Male Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Sand blasting and powder coating   Sand blasting and powder coating EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 4:17 pm

Let me know if you are planning on using them. I want to have my bead lock outer rims powder coated. If the turn around time is quick and they have the right color I will do it now.

We can save a trip by one of us dropping them off and the other picking them up if you want.

Can anyone guess what color I want???????

Now that I think about it.. If I remove the outer rim with all the bolts wonder if the tire will stay beaded with the weight of the jeep on it?
Back to top Go down
https://marylandrockraiders.forumotion.com
mdcj7
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
mdcj7

Male Number of posts : 481

PostSubject: Re: Sand blasting and powder coating   Sand blasting and powder coating EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 9:49 pm

UpnOver wrote:
Let me know if you are planning on using them. I want to have my bead lock outer rims powder coated. If the turn around time is quick and they have the right color I will do it now.

We can save a trip by one of us dropping them off and the other picking them up if you want.

pink

you need to let the air out before you unbolt them.
Back to top Go down
FallstonYJ

FallstonYJ

PostSubject: Re: Sand blasting and powder coating   Sand blasting and powder coating EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 12:06 am

What do you think about having my new fenders powder coated?

You think they can do it in a gloss finish to match the rest of the jeep??
Back to top Go down
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

Male Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Sand blasting and powder coating   Sand blasting and powder coating EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 4:58 pm

mdcj7 wrote:
UpnOver wrote:

pink

you need to let the air out before you unbolt them.

close on the color..

I was hoping to take the outer rings off without messing with demounting the tires. I guess I could put jack stands under the jeep on the trailer and they will hopefully stay beaded up.

Tom, that wouldnt be a bad idea....
Back to top Go down
https://marylandrockraiders.forumotion.com
chefdab

PostSubject: Re: Sand blasting and powder coating   Sand blasting and powder coating EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 8:07 pm

So I ended up getting them coated at East Coast Powdercoat. They look awesome. Damn near perfect match to the body color. Now I'm thinking of taking my rear bumper and swing out off and having them coated to match also. If I do, does anyone want to help with the disassembly and reassembly of the bumper and tire carrier? The thing is just a little too heavy to maneuver by myself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sand blasting and powder coating   Sand blasting and powder coating Empty

Back to top Go down

Sand blasting and powder coating
Page 1 of 1