Maryland Rock Raiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maryland Rock Raiders Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......

Go down 
+2
jnjstj
UpnOver
6 posters
AuthorMessage
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

Male Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2009-02-01

4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... Empty
PostSubject: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 10:45 pm

What a great day......Its 9:39pm and I just dropped the trailer and got the cover on before the rain started..

Pic's and stories will be added probably tomorrow including the Crush with body damage and Grateful Red with driveline damage..

Jason and Tom came away pretty good with Tom only losing a shock bushing....Jason was happy as a lark because he climbed a hill that the Crush didnt attempt... I heard it throughout the day.. He thought he got me again on Big Rocks but even with the low center of gravity I beat the Crush up the rock.. Nice try Jason...

We had the entire park to ourselves and we ran some serious trails...

I enjoyed this day tremendously and cant wait for another Monday run... Im off to the shower and heal my wounds from my faceplant in the Rock Garden...... lol!
Back to top Go down
https://marylandrockraiders.forumotion.com
jnjstj

jnjstj

Male Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 11:06 pm

yes it was a great day.matt you beat me to the write up.i was not going to say that i one up you but since you put it out there.YES I ONE UP THE BIG ORANGE CRUSH.that is proubly the only one but i will take it.it was great having the park to ourselves.so for the record the black night and me 1 and the crush 0. nothing but love for ya matt.
Back to top Go down
FallstonYJ

FallstonYJ

Male Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 11:57 pm

What a day; nothing but good fun, great weather and even better friends!!!! cheers cheers

I love this Monday wheeling; can't wait to do it again after regrouping from today's carnage as it were. Not too much but a few things to take care of before next time!

Thanks Matt, Chris, Jason, Tina, Courtney, and last but certainly not least....................Mr. Ron beers beers

Let's see some pics Matt; (please do not show pics of the Crushes body wounds, I think there may be some that could not handle it!)
Back to top Go down
FallstonYJ

FallstonYJ

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 8:13 pm

How bout those pics? I know I forgot my camera like an idiot; Mad , but I was hoping Tina got some good shots.
Back to top Go down
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 8:32 pm

I will get them up tonight.. Neighbors are having a driveway put in and they cut the comcast underground. Service has been on and off all day..

Probably a good thing because I got some things done...........Back to work tomorrow
Back to top Go down
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

PostSubject: story   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 11:06 pm

A few of us had planned to run a week trip for the past few weeks and finally Aug 10 worked out to be that day.. Chris L and his father Ron where in the Grateful Red, Tom in the Black Knight, Jason in old reliable (not sure if he has named the TJ) and Tina, Cortney and myself in the Crush..
We arrived at the park around 10 am and it was alittle strange at first being the only people in the entire park. We quickly unloaded, well all but Tom who has the slowest fake Stauns in the world and then went up to pay our fee's.
I had been thinking about this trip all weekend and had sent a email to the others stating I would like to hit Boot Hill, Tombstone and some of the other trails that I had not been on for a few trips. After talking Chris into holding off on attempting Jotter's way and the other Red hill climbs to the afternoon we headed out to the west property.
Chris lead the way and we quickly got over to Boot Hill.

4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... Tom00010

Chris started down Boot Hill and took a right to Tombstone where the above pic was taken. I saw some nice rock climbs to the left and started off that way with the others behind me. To my surprise we found some neat bowls that were at the top that I had never seen. After the three of us got through we came around and met up with Chris. He and his father were already at Tombstone and as usual Chris was ready to have at it.

We hadnt been to Tombstone for over a year when I had the XJ there and tore the rear ring and pinion out on the hard climb to the left.

Chris went at it with his usual all out style and no matter what we tried he couldnt get up the first ledge. There was alot of mud in holes and he could not get traction. He backed off and I asked to try it before he tried again.

Tina and Cortney both decided to stay in the jeep and I was quite surprised. I hit it a few times and after a hard full throttle hit I made it up the first ledge.

4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... Tom00011

Now was the next ledge. These full out attempts where not working and I was getting very frustrated. My axle and tire width seemed to be lodging me into the grove and pushing me the wrong way. I was so frustrated that I didnt even care that every attempt I was putting the left boatside into the rock face and tearing paint away each time..

4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... Tom00013

After a few tries and some serious tire spinning and slamming into the rock I backed off and Tombstone had beat for the second time and second vehicle..

Next it was Tom's turn. He choose to take the climb to the far right and made it to the top and got hung on a rock. After one or two back up's he made the climb without any other issues..

Last edited by UpnOver on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

PostSubject: re   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 11:20 pm

Jason was next and he took the same route as Tom and ended up getting hung on his dif right about the same position as Tom. I had been sitting down talking to Tom and Jason had to back down alittle to get a run at the rock face. He turned to the right and backed off and his jeep was immediately off camber and scared me. i jumped up and started towards the jeep and in a frantic I almost fell down the rock face. After a few back up's we got him straight and he got up the top after a few tries.

4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... Tom00015

Chris and I were alittle upset that the Tombstone had seemed to beat us. After alittle bit of studying Chris got right back at it. I got him on a different line and after a couple tries he was up the first level. He seemed to be in the same position as they had me in when I tried it and was unsuccessful. I then got Chris to make about 10 small back and forths and got him into the position I wanted him.

4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... Tom00016

At that point it was now or never. Chris gave it his all and the Grateful Red was giving it all he had and he made the climb.

As I was writing this I almost forgot the best picture of the day. On the first attempt Chris was making his father alittle nervous. Ron went over and got the spotter rope that was still hooked up since the competition and he made sure Chris was not gonna roll the jeep on the climb.. What a supporting father..

4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... Tom00017

Last edited by UpnOver on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
natedogg_66

natedogg_66

Male Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 11:28 pm

sounds like you guys had a blast. My trip was canceled late friday which sucked. Iwould have came up monday, but no babysitter. Oh well there is always another day
Back to top Go down
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 11:45 pm

After leaving Tombstone we traveled to South property and ended up in the Quarry. Chris gave Shoot the Moon a few tries but it had rained really bad the day before and there was no traction to be found.

Leaving the Quarry Chris attempted the loose gravel climb out and his first attempts in low range and first gear were not working. He finally picked another line and tried second gear and made the climb. Tom and Jason followed and both made the climb. My usual self not caring for hill climbs just took the easy way out..

Well Jason was happy as a lark that he and his jeep did something that the Crush didnt attempt. I heard it for the next hour.

We traveled to Snakebite and stopped for lunch in the first shaded area we found. The temp and sun was horrible in the Quarry and the area we stopped was perfect. Made for a nice lunch and some great conversation.

Jason made sure I remembered he made the climb again.... lol!

After lunch Ron decided he wanted to drive. This was music to our ears since we all had tried numerous times to get Ron to come with us wheeling. Ron lives next to Tom and frequently when we are working on the jeeps at Tom's, Ron stops over. More than once had we heard "Why do you waste so much time and money on these jeeps"...

We headed towards the West property and traveled down the pole line. At the bottom we decide to play at the Big Rocks. Ron was the first up in the Grateful Red and made his first climb look like it was nothing. I think he got the fever at that point.... Twisted Evil

I was next and I lined the Crush up. I looked over at Tina, who seemed to be bored and asked if she wanted to run it.. She said yes and I got out.. Unfortunatley for ME........ the seat would not move to the upper position and she was Mad....... The rest of the conversation is not necessary....... the next hour or two I was :badnana:

I got back in and started to crawl up. Chris and I were quite surprised when the belly pan got me hung up every attempt... At this point.. MR. JASON.. started on me again.. "IM GONNA MAKE ANOTHER CLIMB THAT THE CRUSH DIDNT"..

Needless to say.. I wasnt about to let that happen.. Another full throttle run and the Crush was up the climb.. At the top of the climb was a tree and I not only hit the brake hardest as I could I pushed on the steering wheel so hard the top started to fold over..

NOT THIS TIME JASON...... :rockin:

4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... Tom00018

Next was Tom and as I turned around the Smart ASS was backing up the climb. He made the climb look easy with his 9 FOOT LIFT...

Last but not least its Jason's turn.. At this point he was very cocky and was ready to make the climb... he got up the hill after the second try and then immediately locked the brakes just in time. He was very close to the tree on the left.. After some work he got thru.. Good job Brother......

4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... Tom00020

Last edited by UpnOver on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

PostSubject: r   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 12:02 am

After Big Rocks we wanted a good shot of all the jeeps. I suggested the Rock Garden and we were off for a shot. Chris had just passed the new cut into the rock garden that was done a few weeks prior and I called him back.. After some conversation he realized I really wanted to run it and he headed in.

I followed in and I must of had a grin from ear to ear the way the Crush was walking right thru it without a problem at all.
yay!

I got to the point where Chris was spotting his father into the entrance of the garden and I stopped and jumped out to walk back to Tom and help him thru.. I got about half way thru and in this section it is all shaded and the moss is growing very well. I took the next step and I then found my self face first into the rocks.. I got up and realized I had torn my knee open and my shoulder was already hurting.

I tried to help Tom thru by spotting as best as I could but I am not sure how much of help I was.

Jason decided to take the other route around and met up with us in garden where Tom, Ron and Chris were repairing a crushed valve stem.

After fixing that we got the jeeps lined up for some photo's..

4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... Tom00021

4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... Tom00022

4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... Tom00023

The temp was horrible in the center of the rock garden and my leg was starting to hurt even more. Soon as someone said are we ready I was started and heading out..

I got back on J trail and when the group was together we headed up the trail. Shortly up the trail I felt my steering getting harder and harder. I pulled over and noticed fluid shooting straight out of the pressure line on the hydraulic steering cylinder I had just replaced. Tom came over and grabbed the fitting and said it was loose. I got the tool bag out and Chris and his father headed back to the truck for some fluid. Once we got it tight and Chris got back I bleed it out and it seemed to be working.

We headed up the trail and made it back to the hill climbs by the old parking lot. Chris and I had stopped at them last time out and Chris was excited to try Jotters way. I took the far climb to the right and got to the top of the hill. I had never really payed much attention to them but had watched all the videos from KOH and watched half the buggies not make the climb.. At the top I realized how hard of a climb it was.

After some talk Chris lined up and started at the climb..He really didnt even get into the climb and I watched the front drive shaft snap. Chris jumped out and said the shaft actually broke right in the middle of the body of the shaft. I had only seen this happen one other time.

After some winching we got the jeep off the hill and headed back to the parking lot..

We loaded up and headed to the Gooseberry for dinner.. Very good food and some great conversation from OLD SCHOOL OFFROAD..

Thanks for a great day guys..
Back to top Go down
jnjstj

jnjstj

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 12:17 am

hey matt i was not that bad.i think i only said it 8 to 10 times.i do like the name old reliable.that was a fun day.can't wait to do it again.
Back to top Go down
FallstonYJ

FallstonYJ

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 12:32 am

Great recount and great pics Matt; how do you remember all of those details?? confused

I can barely remember that we were wheeling yesterday! affraid

I know I said it before but wheeling with such great friends like Matt, Chris, Jason, Ron & Tina....................it just doesn't get any better than that!! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 am

FallstonYJ wrote:
Great recount and great pics Matt; how do you remember all of those details?? confused

I can barely remember that we were wheeling yesterday! affraid

I know I said it before but wheeling with such great friends like Matt, Chris, Jason, Ron & Tina....................it just doesn't get any better than that!! cheers cheers cheers

Wheeling trips like yesterday is why I stay in this sport and the club. True friendships have been made and no matter what avenues I persue in the future, I will always have these memories and friendships..

For those newbies who have joined the club or forum members who read this.. You dont know what you are missing until you get out there with these guys.. No matter what trails we run or the group we are with, these friendships can not be beatin..

I cleaned the Crush today and the battle scars are fresh and he is ready for another trip...
Back to top Go down
FallstonYJ

FallstonYJ

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:04 am

Let's fix the battle wounds and plan the next Monday run!!

Still think it would be alot of fun to go up on Sunday and camp!!!
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
The Devil Dog

Male Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 4:18 am

Very nice guys, good pictures, nice and clear, and good story line too. I am sad not having been there with you all. Looks like a great time for sure....Soon....enough I will be there again...soon....Let the master teach you all a few tricks...hahahaha
Back to top Go down
http://www.ticothedevildog.com/
jnjstj

jnjstj

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:06 pm

yea matt the pic's are great.that's right you did not take them tina did.haha lol
Back to top Go down
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 9:28 pm

jnjstj wrote:
yea matt the pic's are great.that's right you did not take them tina did.haha lol

Thats shows how observant you are.. Most of the pictures were taken by Tom, Chris and Ron...............

Go back to sleep and "Dream" about making it through the Rock Garden you chickened out on................ :stooges:
Back to top Go down
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 9:57 pm

I would like to clafify that while posing for some pictures in the park on our last trip some of us did not have our harness's or seatbelts on in the pics. Thru out the day we did and always do wear our harness's. We even had a conversation about Chris trying some of the climbs and not having his helmet with him.

Just as the staff of Rausch Creek require the Maryland Rock Raiders also require the use of atleast lap belts while wheeling in any of the trails or parks we attend.

In the future we will make sure even in our glory time of posing for pictures we will make sure our harness's are on.....

Sorry for the oversight..
Back to top Go down
Screwfly

Screwfly

Male Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-04-24

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 11:17 pm

Looks like you guys had a good time.
Can't wait to get out there and get to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......   4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone...... Empty

Back to top Go down

4 Rock Raider's jeeps rock RC alone......
Page 1 of 1