Maryland Rock Raiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maryland Rock Raiders Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Maryland Rock Raiders Invite

Go down 
+6
mdcj7
crazyjimmy
FallstonYJ
jnjstj
UpnOver
bigrubbers4x4
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bear

Male Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Maryland Rock Raiders Invite - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maryland Rock Raiders Invite   Maryland Rock Raiders Invite - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 3:00 am

hi Guys, things are getting ready, we have plenty of areas open up for those who trailers for their rigs. we have many camping spots for all of you to choose from with a central fire pit to hang out around and shoot the bull. lots of door prizes and raffles too, I think we have 5 raffles in total for some nice stuff from Hi-Lift, Power Tank, Tom Woods,KC-Hi-Lites, and many others. we will have hot dogs available for lunch, and dinner is the pig, with french fries, wings, baked beans, and perhaps corn on the cob as we have 2 members working on that. we also have soft drinks and potato chips and baked goods. plenty of food to eat.
we have a real nasty natural mud pit with a 90 degree right turn up a hill, that no one has been able to get thru, so far. the border patrol trail has a section that is similar to a roller coaster, lol, and we have only just begun. this is the same Mt, range as Paragon and RC, but higher up in elevation. see you all this weekend and thank you for coming out to lrnd a hand creating a trail network for all to use.
Back to top Go down
crazyjimmy
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
crazyjimmy

Male Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Maryland Rock Raiders Invite   Maryland Rock Raiders Invite - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 3:25 pm

Looking forward to comming, Mu Son ( Shaggy) and I will be ther Saturday morning
Back to top Go down
CamoK5
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
CamoK5

Number of posts : 284

PostSubject: Re: Maryland Rock Raiders Invite   Maryland Rock Raiders Invite - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 5:42 pm

Bear,

Speaking for me and my boys we are looking forward to lending a hand to fellow wheelers, sharing tall tales and great food. See you then.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
mdcj7

Male Number of posts : 481

PostSubject: Re: Maryland Rock Raiders Invite   Maryland Rock Raiders Invite - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 8:30 pm

all loaded up and waiting cheers beers beers beers beers beers beers beers beers
Back to top Go down
bigrubbers4x4

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Maryland Rock Raiders Invite   Maryland Rock Raiders Invite - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 5:17 am

sorry i havent been on lately, we have been extremely busy at the property getting it ready for this event. we got it about all ready, we have just a few minor things to take care of before the weekend. we will have 5 raffle packages going off, if any of you folks coming are interested in raffles. here is the big main raffle package i have in mind...this may change slightly if any at all..

Raffle #1

HiLift Extreme Jack
HiLift handle keeper
HiLift Liftmate
Tom Woods Backpack
Tom Woods Ball Cap
Powertank Tire Repair Kit
Powertank Tire Pressure Gauge

the rest are not this big but are nice packages. we have more tire repair kits, a set of KC lights, a really nice leather tom wood's travel bag, some hats and shirts as well. we will be having many door prizes as well. should be a fun weekend. see you guys there. dont forget, the address is: 3222 Dark Shade Drive, Windber Pa. 15963

if the gate is closed, and nobody is around when you arrive there, there will be no lock on the gate, push it open and drive on in, follow the signs to the picnic grounds or staging area and report to HQ when you arrive. thanks. there will be a big white and red BIG RUBBERS banner next to the main road at the entrance to the property. dont forget, if your planning on attending and have not yet, please email sam at bigrubbers4x4@yahoo.com
Back to top Go down
crazyjimmy
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
crazyjimmy

PostSubject: Re: Maryland Rock Raiders Invite   Maryland Rock Raiders Invite - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Shaggy and I will be there, with a chain saw.
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
The Devil Dog

Male Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Maryland Rock Raiders Invite   Maryland Rock Raiders Invite - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 12:31 pm

crazyjimmy wrote:
Shaggy and I will be there, with a chain saw.

You and chain saw.....That's dangerous!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ticothedevildog.com/
crazyjimmy
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
crazyjimmy

PostSubject: THIS WAS AN AMAZING WEEKEND   Maryland Rock Raiders Invite - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 3:26 pm

Shaggy and I were only there for Saturday. The weather was great, I mean awsome. It had rained Friday night and the trails were muddy (awsome). We arrived at 0730 to find Paul, Mark and his son Jake awake and eating breakfast.

The place was amazing, there was ample trailer parking, among what was a junk yard from days gone by. There were model A parts all the way through old Caddys and Packards and a coupe of Scouts Lots of old iron with most of the chrome and acording to the owner some still had good papers. further down the road is a Boy Scout adventure area and wild life preserve. The Boy Scouts have a Rock Climbing Area and The Camp Ground is multi use.

The Camp Ground/ Staguing area is laid out very well. It runs along a river that has a fishing hole about a mile from camp. There are camp sites cut out in inbetween pine trees and oak trees. Paul, Mark and Jake had an area almost completely shaded, with 2 tents and a canopy, I am guessing there are 6 sites like this and 6 more in the woods on the hill. The main area has parking for 20-25 vehicles (or 40 like this weekend) and a very large area for canopies and pavilion tents. There are 2 large fire pits approximatley 75 feet apart, the camping and clearing is about 3 acres.

As we arrived we were met by Bear. He is a great guy. Everybody there treated us as if they had known us for years.

Breakfast was provided, Doughnuts and pasteries, juice and water. Lunch ran from 1030 ish until the end of dinner, lunch was hotdogs and sliders. Dinner was a Roast Pig, Mark Helped butcher and Jake experimented by eating the tounge. There was Hot Wings and French frys and Chips and pasta salads and Taters cooked with the Pig, Oh did I mention there was a Keg?? The supplied all the water, ice tea, lemonaide all day, oh forgot the beer also.

The Park is like alot of the parks in Pa. Old logging roads and lots of rocks. We started by cutting up a pile of logs for the fires, about 10 people 0830 - 1030. At about noon we were teamed up with a club member and sent out to the trails that needed work. Maryland Rock Raiders were represented well at this event with about 5 others (group of 10) cleard out alot of down fall and free standing green trees. I grew up in the country and this was a respectable days work by my Mo. hillbilly standards. 3 chain saws, an axe and a machetie (sp). kept use busy and I will be eating motrin for a coupe of days
We cleared a path from river level to the top of the hill the Boy Scouts use for the Rock Climbing. This path circles bsck to camp, dont ask Paul, he tried to meet us at the top towards the end of the day and did not make it, something about destroying a tire?

The event was sponsered by approx. 30 sponsers. they had raffles and door prizes, to include hi lifts and highlift extreme jack and Gift Certs and 50 t-shirts and hats and winch kits and KC light and ... It took almost 45 min. to give out all of the stuff.

This was a great event and those who missed it. Sorry. It was alot of hard work on a cool breezy day that only had about 15 min. of soft rain at about 1530, you know when it actually felt good. The food and drinks were great, the people even better. This park is not as big as some of the others but they are even working on that.

As for stuff to do in town. Tons of local pubs and 2 (two) circle dirt traks for cars and a fair ground. As soon as you come off of Highway 70 there is stuff to do. Lots of local stuff, like a coffe house that looks like a coffee pot, covered bridgesand a wind farm with 20+ large wind mills

I will post a URL with some of the pics we took also a video of a river crossing in a hybrid CJ

I will be back there again. This time I bring a Jeep
Back to top Go down
shaggy

shaggy

Male Number of posts : 20

PostSubject: Hey   Maryland Rock Raiders Invite - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 4:08 pm

This is pic from the event

https://s752.photobucket.com/albums/xx162/familyjeeps/Aug%2029%202009%20Big%20Rubbers/

I had a blast, I will go again some time soon

All in all there was about 7-8 crews of about 8-10 ppl each to cut paths in the woods.

I love pig Roasts

Shaggy
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
The Devil Dog

Male Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Maryland Rock Raiders Invite   Maryland Rock Raiders Invite - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 11:32 pm

Thanks for the link there Jimmy, good photos of the pug roast. Work kept me out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ticothedevildog.com/
bigrubbers4x4

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Maryland Rock Raiders Invite   Maryland Rock Raiders Invite - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 1:18 am

hey thanks for coming up and giving us a hand. that trail you guys cut was EXTREMELY littered with downfall, you should have seen us marking that out, it felt kinda like runnin the gauntlet........lol. y'all did a GREAT job getting as far as ya did before the saws puttered out. Matt and I went down it from the top a little while after it was cut not knowing there were spike strips along the path, i got out and cut them off ground level with his saw while he drove down behind me. that area right there by the repelling area has some great potential for some nice rocky stuff, thanks for getting that main artery opened up. I'm glad you guys had a good time, you guys are welcome to come up with us some weekend when were out cutting more trails or hangin out for the weekend if you would like to. the guys from Rocks and Roost would like to come back next month sometime to lend a hand. i hope some of you guys won some stuff you can use, there were a few local sponsors with free 4 wheel alignments that probably wouldn't do anybody from out of town any good........lol.

its not a "park" (yet, but were working on that), right now its just private land our club has access to do whatever we want to on. we hope some day to open it like RC or like paragon was to the public after we get EVERYTHING done. the less permits and red tape the better. you don't need a permit for existing trails or buildings...............lol.

i would have to say, the hardest part of my weekend was showing back up at camp Friday night at 1:30AM to no fire in either pit......Rob and I did a 2:00AM Calvary call to our members that were all hiding from the rain in their tents or under their personal tarps. i looked at it like this, if we don't have no fire, we don't have no pig. so i figured, if I'm getting wet, y'all are to.... you know, its a real pain in the ass to start a fire on an open power line, surrounded by woods in a torrential downpour. the wet wood really don't like to light .....hanging tarps on the ropes from the poles to the trees was pretty interesting with all the rain. you would be tying up the tarp, relax when you were done for about a second before about a gallon of water would run down it and hit ya in the face or the chest. i had my military poncho on and it did me no good, it was wet out there Friday night let me tell ya.

this weekend was the first time we had ever cooked a pig in the ground, i thought it tasted pretty good. i missed the tongue eating thing, i wonder if it was any good??? If any of ya get sick from eating the pig, like bear said "its a good thing you all signed your waivers"..........ha ha ha. those are some good pics, thanks. i may have to use some for our site if ya don't mind. we plan to have a huge event towards the end of august or beginning of Sept every year for now on. i think we were already talking about a side of beef or something for next year. i am glad that the bear left us alone out there, i thought for sure we were gonna have a visitor sometime saturday night. i was up sitting by the fire till 3AM sunday morning and saw no signs of him or her. oh, the keg we got was FREE, it was sponsored. the portable CO2 setup is my own personal setup. i got really tired of pumping kegs at keg parties in the service so i invested in one when i got out and made it portable for me to use at the house at my personal fire pit, which is about the same size as the one i dug out at base camp. I'm sure i will see you guys back soon, or at least i hope so. did any of ya get any trail pics with rigs on them by chance?
Back to top Go down
crazyjimmy
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
crazyjimmy

PostSubject: Re: Maryland Rock Raiders Invite   Maryland Rock Raiders Invite - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 5:49 pm

I am a fan and will come back anytime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maryland Rock Raiders Invite   Maryland Rock Raiders Invite - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Maryland Rock Raiders Invite
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2