Maryland Rock Raiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maryland Rock Raiders Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

May Comp Weekend

Go down 
+3
The Devil Dog
Tom95YJ
UpnOver
7 posters
AuthorMessage
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

Male Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2009-02-01

May Comp Weekend Empty
PostSubject: May Comp Weekend   May Comp Weekend EmptyMon May 04, 2009 10:26 am

What a weekend!!! Alot of things went very well and alot didnt go so well but I know I had a great time and I am actually ready to wheel today..

Most of the plans we had talked didnt come together but as usual we made some compromises and made the best of it. I do want to thank Tom (Fallston YJ) for putting in some crazy hours the two weeks prior to help me get my jeep, his jeep, the comp sign and everything else ready for the weekend.

We started off Friday with a late start but ended up at the park around 8pm. Tom, Tommy and Chris L. were camping at the park and Tina and I were at the comfort. We hung out with them for a bit and dropped the trailer and jeep off and then called it a night around 10pm. Saturday we woke to find Paul, Stacey (his daughter), Mark, (his son, Mark edit his name in, I remember Josh but not the younger one), Waldo and company, Tom K and his brother all at the comfort. Once at the park we found Chris Taylor and Joe had joined us that morning.

The day started off with Chris preparing for comp and everyone else getting ready for a great day. The preplanned plans of having a tent set up for club support ended up not be worth it due us not getting a area to set up that we felt was worth the effort. I will definitely contact Bruce to make sure that doesnt happen again.

Chris was the fifth rig to run the first course and got a very good start at making a good scoring run. Once on the course and clearing I believe the third set of cones the left front suspension had dropped and the notorious spring issue showed its ugly face. The spring was hanging out and do to previous situations Joe was studying the situation. I opened my mouth and yelled to Joe to remove it totally so it would not bind up and cause a non steering situation like it had in the past. Joe did so and threw it out of the course. Chris and Joe got thru that gate and through another. They swung wide and set up for the final climb which was a serious off camber climb up the crete. Joe and Chris had planned the climb earlier and Joe had even asked me prior to the run what I thought. Everyone agreed the wide swing to the right would be the angle to take to be able to make the next obstacle at the top of the hill. Chris lined up and attempted the climb and at almost the top of the 25 foot crete hill the right front tire started to climb to sky and thats where things go alittle tricky. Chris continued to climb and it seemed like he would power out of it..... due to the extreme pucker situation Chris let out alittle like most would of done and GRAVITY took over.. The jeep stood up on its left rear and did a ballerina twirl to end up on its cage.

The first recovery attempt was unsuccessful and we waited for the crain. By the time the jeep was uprighted over 20 minutes had passed. We discussed removing the plugs but do to the coil pack being on the plugs the call was made not to do it to save time.

As Chris prepared to get ready for the next run we found out we had made the wrong decision. Chris was next up and went to start the jeep and it was hydro locked due to the oil being up in chambers. I got every one together and with the jeep in gear we attempt to roll the jeep back and forth a few times. I had Chris try again and it bumped alittle on starter but then just locked again. This was a good sign but we had very short time to continue.

We pulled the coil pack and all six plugs. I had clearly warned all people around the jeep to move away because the oil will squirt out when Chris bumps the starter..Unfortunately I was not smart enought to listen to my own warnings. I had went around to the front of the jeep and Tom was standing next to me. Chris bumped the starter and the next thing I knew I had a face full of oil. The oil came out so fast that it hit the intake tube and made a 90 degree turn to soak me and get Tom as well..

After being laughed at and photographed for a few minutes I cleaned off and we began again. We thought we got all the oil out and put all the plugs back in. We found we hadnt succeeded when the jeep was still locked when we tried to start it. We ended up pulling them again and after about 5 minutes off cranking we got atleast another half quart out.

This time was successful and the jeep started and the audience clapped and yelled with Joy.. It was like we were in a movie and the crowd was cheering us on.. (I might of indulged alittle there but it did feel that way..LOL)

cont..
Back to top Go down
https://marylandrockraiders.forumotion.com
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

May Comp Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: May Comp Weekend   May Comp Weekend EmptyMon May 04, 2009 10:36 am

Chris had used his entire 40 minute repair time and had to immediately run the next course. Once he finished that one the third course was ready for him. Chris made two fairly decent runs and he was done awaiting the final scores.

It seemed like forever that they would get the scores together and the shot out would begin. Eventually they did and do to the roll Chris was not in the top six.

We watched the class four shot out and it was very exciting. Eugene from Rose Crawlers put on a fantastic show. Here is a video of it..

Video of myself on the rocky hill on the power line from sat.

Another group shop without that annoying tree
May Comp Weekend L_87a8532ab14640eea168a6f573524c33

Last edited by Tom95YJ on Tue May 05, 2009 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added videos and pic)
Back to top Go down
JKNurse79

JKNurse79

Female Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-04-01

May Comp Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: May Comp Weekend   May Comp Weekend EmptyTue May 05, 2009 9:27 pm

I had a blast this weekend. Thanks for helping me decide my jeep will be a show/street jeep. I definitely will come up and ride with my dad more often. I look forward to a snow ride Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JEEPERX

JEEPERX

Male Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-02-03

May Comp Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: May Comp Weekend   May Comp Weekend EmptyWed May 06, 2009 11:01 am

I have some Vids to post, I hope to get them up today.

Thanks to all that were there. I had a blast. Thanks to Chris and Tom especially for the Food and Chris for the ride on Sunday. We have a couple of hills to beat when it is dry!
Back to top Go down
http://www.alphaomegaoffroad.com
Tom95YJ

Tom95YJ

Male Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-04-22

May Comp Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: May Comp Weekend   May Comp Weekend EmptyWed May 20, 2009 12:34 am

I finally got around to uploading the other videos onto youtube You can find them by searching maryland rock raiders

or watch below

Back to top Go down
JEEPERX

JEEPERX

May Comp Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: May Comp Weekend   May Comp Weekend EmptyWed May 20, 2009 2:27 pm

Finally uploaded mine too.

Back to top Go down
JEEPERX

JEEPERX

May Comp Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: May Comp Weekend   May Comp Weekend EmptyWed May 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Matt you and Pattey should not hang out. I don't think I could handle it.

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Tom95YJ

Tom95YJ

Male Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-04-22

May Comp Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: May Comp Weekend   May Comp Weekend EmptyWed May 20, 2009 11:42 pm

lol! @ Matt
Back to top Go down
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

May Comp Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: May Comp Weekend   May Comp Weekend EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:48 am

That is hilarious.....
Back to top Go down
https://marylandrockraiders.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

May Comp Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: May Comp Weekend   May Comp Weekend Empty

Back to top Go down

May Comp Weekend
Page 1 of 1