Maryland Rock Raiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maryland Rock Raiders Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Toyota axle swap

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mdcj7
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
mdcj7

Male Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Toyota axle swap Empty
PostSubject: Toyota axle swap   Toyota axle swap EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 8:11 pm

Started with set of Toyota axles from an 82 truck these axle are 55.5” WMS to WMS. To fit them on the Jeep had to outboard the front spring ¾” the spring pads were 29” and stock CJ is 27 ½”.
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-5
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-6
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-4
Strip all the excess brackets from the axle. One of the weak points are the balls of the closed knuckle they can bend I installed ball gussets to support them.
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-14
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-15
If you get a 79 to 81 axle there is no trussing on them mine being an 82 had Factory truss to perch the 84 to 85 has a full truss to knuckle. When mounting the axle I used the stock pad on the pumpkin side and use the steel shims the get my caster angle correct I have caster set a 6°. Installed Aussie lockers front and rear
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-20
due to the stress that the locker would put on the stock birfields I got the Longfield 30 spline super axles and the chormoly hub gears if they break I get new one lifetime warranty.
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-10
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-26
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-27
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-28
Rebuilt the knuckles they have king pins with bearings no more ball joints. Replace the stock rotor with a vented rotor and upgraded to 88 Toyota brake calipers the have 4 pistons verse the two piston 82 caliper. Used Toyota extended brake lines in the front with adapters at the Jeep hard line and used the Jeep extended line in the rear and flared on the standard connectors to the axle brake line. The rear brakes were upgraded also with larger 11” drums from a 91 4runner all Toyota trucks from 86 up have the lager brakes but the 4runners emergency brake cables are individual which made it easy to hook up to the Jeep emergency brake. The drive shaft there was two ways to go I could get Toyota style flanges that bolted onto my Dana 300 and have the Toyota drive shafts cut and fitted or I found a 1310 ujoint to Toyota flange adapter that use a stock Jeep driveshaft that bolted to the Toyota third member this added 1 ¾” to the driveshaft.
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-39
This is what I did I have a good selection of Jeep drive shafts and found ones that would work saving money right now will do the Toyota drive shafts later that are much stronger than the Jeeps. Steering I found buggy arms to replace the stock Toyota steering. Did not go with the high steer arm because I stay with the SUA and the leaf springs were not in the way.
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-22
I use ¾” heims with high misalignment spacers and a 5/8” grade 8 bolts. Moved the front shock to the top of axle the steering stops on the axle kept me from put the shock in the original position. Use Ford shock towers to keep the travel of the shock the same in the rear I relocated the shock to the axle housing.
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-40
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-42
Toyota axle swap Axleswap-41
Back to top Go down
shaggy

shaggy

Male Number of posts : 20

Toyota axle swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toyota axle swap   Toyota axle swap EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 9:31 pm

Nice swap

Hope it works well in the woods :)
Back to top Go down
crazyjimmy
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
crazyjimmy

Male Number of posts : 318

Toyota axle swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toyota axle swap   Toyota axle swap EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 9:43 pm

Hey Paul is that a Pink Jeep???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Toyota axle swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toyota axle swap   Toyota axle swap Empty

Back to top Go down

Toyota axle swap
Page 1 of 1