Maryland Rock Raiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maryland Rock Raiders Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

career choices???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jdjeeper

jdjeeper

Male Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-02-03

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: career choices???   career choices??? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 10:29 pm

hey guys as some of you may or may not know i am in school in pittsburgh for collision and refinishing but im not to sure i want to do it for a living anymore because the industry looks rather gloomy and as far as benefits there is none unless you work for a dealership. my question is what is a good career to get into that i can get into an apprenticeship without spending money for going to school like i am now? thanks
Back to top Go down
ffhill61

ffhill61

Male Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-02-04

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: career choices???   career choices??? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Ever think about becoming a firefighter? You get excellent benefits (20 or 25 year retirement, medical, dental,paid vacation). You also have a crap pot load of time off. I work 4 days in a row (2-10 hour days followed by 2-14 hour night shifts) then I have 4 days off. So with you 4 days off you can work any number of part time jobs or just work on the jeep and wheel. I know this is a long way off but if you ever get married and have kids you get to spend a TON of time with you kids...which is priceless. All in all it is a great job and I would not think of doing anything else. If you have any other questions PM me.

Matt
Back to top Go down
jdjeeper

jdjeeper

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: career choices???   career choices??? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 10:53 pm

how well is the pay?
Back to top Go down
ffhill61

ffhill61

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: career choices???   career choices??? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 10:56 pm

Starts around 30k as a firefighter. But you get "built" raises every year for the first 10 years, A firefighters pay "tops out around 65K". Tons of promotion oppurtunities. A Captain with 25 years on the job makes like 115k. Not bad for only needing a high school education. Most of us work part time jobs in the begininng to make ends meet.
Back to top Go down
jdjeeper

jdjeeper

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: career choices???   career choices??? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 10:59 pm

and where do you work baltimore city fd?
Back to top Go down
ffhill61

ffhill61

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: career choices???   career choices??? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 11:23 pm

No Baltimore County. The pay is better than the city. Another benefit is that all of the training is FREE. You can get a head start by joining a local volunteer fire company. They can get you all of your training and it looks good on the application when you apply for a career FD.
Back to top Go down
LaxnYj18

LaxnYj18

Registration date : 2009-02-23

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: career choices???   career choices??? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 11:41 pm

a little off topic or josh, but ffhill, do u happen to know kevin endres, he is a ff for baltimore county also.

on topic talk to pomp really, i know ur pretty good at auto body and im sure he will give ya good advice.
Back to top Go down
ffhill61

ffhill61

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: career choices???   career choices??? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 7:47 am

Kevin and I work on the same shift. Nice guy. How do you know him?
Back to top Go down
JEEPERX

JEEPERX

Male Number of posts : 229

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: career choices???   career choices??? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 8:19 am

I know Construction sucks right now but the trades are still looking for good people. Plumber Electritan, HVAC. You could join the Union and get trainind on the job and free school. I would recomend Electric.

The FD sounds pretty good too though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.alphaomegaoffroad.com
ffhill61

ffhill61

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: career choices???   career choices??? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 10:35 am

JEEPERX wrote:
I know Construction sucks right now but the trades are still looking for good people. Plumber Electritan, HVAC. You could join the Union and get trainind on the job and free school. I would recomend Electric.

The FD sounds pretty good too though.

I agree 100% with that. Seems that most people with a trade are still working.

The FD has some down sides. You have to work nights, weekends, and Holidays (I have not had a Christmas off in 11 years). You are out in the elements, snow, wind, rain, and hot summer days. It also may take you a couple of years to get hired..lots of applicants. But it is not impossilble...the hired me .... lol!
Back to top Go down
ffhill61

ffhill61

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: career choices???   career choices??? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 10:46 am

BTW Happy Birthday Bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jdjeeper

jdjeeper

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: career choices???   career choices??? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 9:37 pm

i appreciate all the info because i am 18 ( 19 on thursday ) and i want to get a good jump on a good career. so in your opinion what would be the steps to take as soon as i get out of this place to get me on the path to be a county firerighter
Back to top Go down
ffhill61

ffhill61

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: career choices???   career choices??? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Keep checking the county website. The application process takes 4 to 5 months. So apply early. The fire department likes to see people that keep applying even if you do not get hired the first time.(i applied 4 times) They also like to see guys with a little volunteer experience. Volunteering is a great way to find out if the job is for you or not without wasting much time. The Susequehanna Hose Co. has lots of stations in HDG and they are always looking for help. But the fire department always hires people with no experience at all. Stay in good shape the application process involves a physical ability test, written test (piece of cake), and a back ground check. Also check Baltimore City (good retirement, so-so pay). Both departments are experiencing HUGE retirements...those spots have to filled by somone. When you are home from school PM me and you can come by the fire house and talk with some of the guys. It also helps to get your EMT (emergency medical tech.) certification ( you will get it in the fire academy if you get hired). Some guys get hired as EMTS work a couple of months as an EMT and transfer to the fire engine. All that time also counts towards your retirement. Any other questions just ask.
Back to top Go down
jdjeeper

jdjeeper

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: career choices???   career choices??? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 10:11 pm

sweet man i appreciate it alot i will be home for a week in the beginning of april and i will most definatley get in touch with you so i can take a visit
thanks alot
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

career choices??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: career choices???   career choices??? Empty

Back to top Go down

career choices???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Maryland Rock Raiders :: EVERYTHING ELSE :: COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC-
Jump to: