Maryland Rock Raiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maryland Rock Raiders Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

water-based recreation on the North Branch of the Potomac

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Devil Dog
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
The Devil Dog

Male Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2009-02-03

water-based recreation on the North Branch of the Potomac Empty
PostSubject: water-based recreation on the North Branch of the Potomac   water-based recreation on the North Branch of the Potomac EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 1:42 am

I have not been on the forum much, trying to work the Association back into action and now we have a semi full staff working and getting things done. Please read and take whatever action is appropriate for you.

"Hi Folks,

Please take a few minutes and complete the survey. Scroll down and click on the e-mail link in the last section of this e-mail. Forward the necessary information. Then they will forward you the survey.

If any of you have been along the upper end of the Potomac River, you then know how outstanding this resource is. If you have been around as long as I have, you can remember when the river flowed orange and was essentially dead. Now it is great swimming and has some outstanding fishing. Now, this may be threatened.

Thanks, Preston"

This was sent to me by a member of the Potomac Garrett State Forest Advisory Board.

"Here is a survey that may be of considerable interest to many of you. It involves the North Branch of the Potomac (right hear in our back yards) and the potential loss of funding for water quality improvements resulting from acid mine draining. Garrett County is surveying river users as seen in the message below, I would figure that you would want to see the Potomac River continue to be treated to mitigate acid mine drainage damages, whether you are a fishermen yourself, a paddler, or a business person that counts on a healthy fishery bringing in sportsmen to the county to spend their money. Please take a look into this survey, and let Garrett Co. know where you stand on this ! ( The river is really just turning into a tremendous recreation resource in the past couple decades, lets not loose it.)

Please send this on to the fishermen, boaters, or others that you think would want to have a voice in this.

~John Denning"

"This is a long story, but suffice it to say the federal dollars used to support the acid mine remediation work on the North Branch watershed are running out. We are trying to document the economic benefit of having lower acidic waters to boost our efforts to get federal and possibly state dollars to continue the remediation work. As you can see below we are targeting the two biggest users - boaters and fishermen.

I’m hoping you can forward this email to any boaters or fishermen you know that use the watershed in hopes of getting a good response to our survey.

Please give me a call for any additional information that will help in getting a good response to the survey.

Meg Ellis

Project Manager

Garrett County

Economic Development Department

203 South Fourth Street, Room 208

Oakland, MD 21550

301-334-1921

301-334-1985 fax"

I am writing to ask for your help with an important study seeking to calculate the economic benefits of water-based recreation on the North Branch of the Potomac.

Background

Sponsored by Garrett County, Maryland (fiscal agent), Appalachian Regional Commission, Maryland Department of the Environment, and Maryland Division of Natural Resources, this research seeks to calculate the local economic benefits generated from water-based recreation on the North Branch Potomac River, made possible by the clean-up of acid mine drainage (AMD) from abandoned mine lands in Garrett and Allegany counties. Results will inform future funding decisions so that remediation continues. We are surveying different user groups (e.g., boaters, anglers) of the North Branch to determine how much they value the clean water.

Request

We need boaters and anglers to complete a short (10 minute) survey; it doesn't matter if you've been to the area or not.

If you'd like to participate, please email to sera@downstreamstrategies.com, and provide the following:

(1) your email address (to which we will send an individualized, randomized link to the online survey),

(2) where you heard about this survey

Your email will only be used for the purposes of this survey. Your survey response will be kept confidential; participation is voluntary.

Send you replies to Preston Stevenson at: pstevens122656@comcast.net

This is our land and recreation facilty, help keep it Please!

Thank you for your support.
Tico Carreras
President
water-based recreation on the North Branch of the Potomac Mafwda10
Back to top Go down
http://www.ticothedevildog.com/

water-based recreation on the North Branch of the Potomac
Page 1 of 1