Maryland Rock Raiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maryland Rock Raiders Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

engine issues

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
natedogg_66

natedogg_66

Male Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2009-02-03

engine issues Empty
PostSubject: engine issues   engine issues EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 10:28 pm

What are the possibilities that an overfilled engine could cause a crankshaft bearing to burn up? I don't think it is true, but that is what the dealer is saying. If so then why just one and not more then that. Any input would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
mdcj7

Male Number of posts : 481

engine issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine issues   engine issues EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 10:13 am

found this

What happens when an engine is overfilled with oil?
So you topped up the engine when it was warm after getting a faulty dipstick reading, or you put too much oil in when you changed it yourself. What's the worst that could happen? Well the problem with this is that the next time the engine is run, the windage in the crankcase and other pressures generated by the oil pump, etc. place a great strain on the seal on the rear main bearing.
Eventually, often much sooner than the ordinary man in the street might expect, the rear main bearing seal ruptures, and the engine becomes a 'leaker'. If you've got a manual gearbox, this means one thing: this oil goes right onto the flywheel and the face of the clutch disc. A lubricated clutch is A Bad Thing. If this still goes unnoticed, the front seal is the next to go, and the engine then becomes a 'gusher' (or to be more colourful, it starts pissing oil all over the place). As well as smothering the clutch with oil from the rear, the oil now coming from the front leak will be neatly distributed about the engine bay as it hits the front pulley - often propelling it out as far as the brake discs. At the same time as this Hollywood disaster movie is unfolding outside the engine, things aren't working out any better on the inside. As you can see from the diagram, the correct oil level is really close to the rotating crank. Overfilling will mean the crank dips into the oil and churns it into a froth. Froth is good on certain types of coffee but not good in an engine. The mixture of aerated oil will be forced into the bearings and in case you didn't know, air is not a lubricant. Typically this means that bearing damage will follow quite rapidly, especially if you are driving on a motorway. You'll know bearing damage when you get it. The engine smells like a garage mechanic cooking over an open flame and the noise coming from the engine is the sort of thing you'd normally hear in vaudeville plays when a piano is pushed down a flight of stairs. As if that all wasn't bad enough, the excess oil gets thrown up into the piston bores where the piston rings have a hard time coping with the excess oil and pressure. It gets into the combustion chamber and some of it will get out into the exhaust system unburned resulting in a nice patina of oil all over the platinum surfaces of your catalytic converter. This renders it utterly useless for good.
Well, you did ask.

I would never replace just one bearing do them all.
Back to top Go down
natedogg_66

natedogg_66

engine issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine issues   engine issues EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 8:23 pm

The dealer is saying that it happened over night that the bearing went because of the overfill. Like I said before I changed my oil 6 weeks ago and I have never overfilled the crankcase. I have been researching this topic and the amount of time doesn't make any sense that that fast it would go. For that matter if it did it is some pretty crappy machine work from the builder. All in all I just want my jeep back, but I know the horror stories everyone says of dealers has me a believer now til proven wrong.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
mdcj7

engine issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine issues   engine issues EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 9:18 pm

did the dealer show you that it was over filled. If you change your own oil you should know where you filled it at. What was happing when you took it into the dealer? and what dealer are you useing you know you don't have to use the one you brought the jeep from.
Back to top Go down
natedogg_66

natedogg_66

engine issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine issues   engine issues EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 9:33 pm

The engine was knocking. I took it to the dealer close to me as to not drive it to far. I contacted chrysler and they basically told me because i do my own oil changes and didn't return to them for service it voided the warranty. which I replied that it doesn't state that in the warranty. which if that was the case it should be in black and white. So I will be out of the jeep for almost 3 weeks because they won't order parts til you put a depoist on it. so here goes a boat load of money and too much for a rental car. So I contacted WJZ 13 to see if they get the same bull I got.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
mdcj7

engine issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine issues   engine issues EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 10:54 am

did you keep records of the oil changes that you did? If so that should be proof enough that it was done.
recipts are better if you have them. I would call around to other dealers maybe Tico can help you out he used to sell new Jeeps at Adams.
Back to top Go down
Tom95YJ

Tom95YJ

Male Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-04-22

engine issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine issues   engine issues EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 11:38 am

mdcj7 wrote:
did you keep records of the oil changes that you did? If so that should be proof enough that it was done.
receipts are better if you have them. I would call around to other dealers maybe Tico can help you out he used to sell new Jeeps at Adams.

In my experience as a service advisor having to deal with warranty companies all day long on a daily basis . If you can come up with every receipt of buying the oil/filter for the Jeep they will help lean their decision your way but seeing that you have a pic of the Jeep off road I hope you cleaned everything off on their cause they will void a warranty for offroading my Tj had a warranty voided for taking it offroad and a seal blew on the ps pump.

good luck
Back to top Go down
natedogg_66

natedogg_66

engine issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine issues   engine issues EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 pm

That pic is from apr 08. If any dirt is there it is on the underbelly so.
Back to top Go down
crazyjimmy
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
crazyjimmy

Male Number of posts : 318

engine issues Empty
PostSubject: Use the power of the word   engine issues EmptyFri May 01, 2009 7:26 am

In the back of your owners manual is a customer advocate address, I had multiple motors go out on a 1992 chevy astro awd van, (first and last chevy I ever own) while we lived in Scotland. It turned out to be a warped bell housing blowing the mains. it would knock and in a day loose oil presure, one motor did not even make it home after repairs. Because of the location and limited warrenty repair places (london area) chevy tried to say they would not repair it. (They were wrong)

Long story short, I eventually had wrote letters to all the Advocates in the owners manual (west coast, east coast, europe, and japan locations) and every chevy dealership in every duty station i was ever stationed at, all the lemon law people I could find and I did supply a distribution list to the correct advocate (P. J. Sorden in my case, I bet he STILL remembers me). A van payment of $450 buys alot of stamps. In 5 years of living in Scotland I had a drivable van for 2.5 yeas or so. But they fixed it again and again until they got it right. Lemon Law only applies to Contental US. I traded it in at Bob Bell Ford the third day in maryland (march 1997), straight from the vehicle shipping lot in dundalk to ford.

The squeeky wheel gets the most attention, be professional but let them know you are telling as many people your story as you can.

As for too much oil, it may have caused the oil level to be too high and be above the windage baffle in the oil pan and if the crank was slapping the oil it may have foamed and cause air bubles in the oil to the mains? but I am more inclined to believe that the dealerships have been told to save as much money as possible and deny warrenty work. Nobody wants to be the dealership that is not a company team player in these hard economic times.

Some thing I did not do but could be an option is to ask the tech advisors of various 4 wheel drive mags also
Back to top Go down
natedogg_66

natedogg_66

engine issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine issues   engine issues EmptyFri May 01, 2009 9:39 pm

At this point in the game the stealership is sticking to their story. I told them I want all parts removed from the engine. I am going to get mechanics opnions and see what they say. If they say that they did too much or that it is a defect then I am contacting the corprate office again. It has been hell not having the JK and I won't have it til mid next week.
Back to top Go down
natedogg_66

natedogg_66

engine issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine issues   engine issues EmptyMon May 11, 2009 10:17 am

will today is the day i get my jeep back. it has been a month today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

engine issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine issues   engine issues Empty

Back to top Go down

engine issues
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Maryland Rock Raiders :: 4X4 TECH :: FIX-IT Q & A-
Jump to: