Maryland Rock Raiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maryland Rock Raiders Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Expectations Too High?

Go down 
+3
LaxnYj18
mdcj7
MDRubi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MDRubi

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Expectations Too High? Empty
PostSubject: Expectations Too High?   Expectations Too High? EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 1:40 pm

Need a reality check:

I installed the 4" lift, 35" tires, had an alignment done, replaced the stock steering stabilizer (OME) and fixed the rear track bar and I guess that I was expecting to have a slightly rougher than stock , but smooth ride on the road.

My stock steering was firm and relatively forgiving and I never felt the anxiety of loosing contact with the road, but now I've got lateral wobble from 35-45 mph, the steering almost over-reacts to my touch and during and after bumps (below (55 mph) it feels like I'm in a pinball game.

So (1) Were my expectations too high? (2) Is this normal and (3) If not, what could be wrong?

confused
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
mdcj7

Male Number of posts : 481

PostSubject: Re: Expectations Too High?   Expectations Too High? EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 5:33 pm

sound like the death wobble do you have to come to almost a complete stop to get it back to normal. Balance on tires should checked. What ever bolts you took apart when putting on the lift go back and check that they are tight.
Back to top Go down
MDRubi

Number of posts : 5

PostSubject: Re: Expectations Too High?   Expectations Too High? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 11:00 am

Well, I don't have severe death wobble - just a slightly stronger wobble when slowing in the speed range of 35-45 mph.

After I had a guy put the lift on for me, he mentioned that my stock steering stabilizer was bent (after my first MRR run:) and I might need to replace it. I let it go for about a week until death wobble hit me twice.

Now, after installing the bolt-on stabilizer, I can stop with a great deal of stability unless there's a rut in the concrete/asphault. Then, I will pull left or right and pretty easily muscle the wheel staight.

This Saturday I'll tighten every bolt I can find and have the balance checked.

Thanks for the advice...more to come....Randy
Back to top Go down
LaxnYj18

LaxnYj18

Male Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Expectations Too High?   Expectations Too High? EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 9:45 pm

what kind of jeep is it?

And when u check to see if the bolts are tight, first find the specs and torc(not sure on spelling sorry) the bolts to the correct lbs. that could help also.
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
The Devil Dog

Male Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Expectations Too High?   Expectations Too High? EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 10:57 pm

I would check the bolt to the pitman arm, did you change that too. With a 4" lift that might be recommneded to reduce the angle pitch. Also check the stableizer shock. Or your angle pitch of the drive line.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ticothedevildog.com/
UpnOver
Forum Trail Guide
Forum Trail Guide
UpnOver

Male Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: re   Expectations Too High? EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 12:56 pm

Dont loose faith.. It can be something very simple. Chris Lloyd (Grateful Red) and I just went through this with his jeep.

You have to keep in mind that when ever you move the steering geometry you will change the way the jeep handles. Chris already had his lift on for a long period of time and then just simply added high steer. In his case we tried everything and in the end the track bar needed shortened.

Continue on the track you are on and make sure everything is tight and installed correctly.

Your best case is to contact Mike Bosley at Appalachian offroad and explain to him your situation. He knew exactly what Chris's problem was just by looking at the camber angles on his front axle.

You will find Appalachian contact info and links to their website on our homepage under resources.

Let him know you are a Raider if you call.
Back to top Go down
https://marylandrockraiders.forumotion.com
thejeepster4

thejeepster4

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Expectations Too High?   Expectations Too High? EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 4:08 am

Sounds like your getting great avice so far, my gut feeling is the track bar, they say if you lift your jeep you should go with adjustable trac bars,it helped mine for sure, i had some pitching issues plus they recenter the axles where they should be....
Back to top Go down
JEEPERX

JEEPERX

Male Number of posts : 229

PostSubject: Re: Expectations Too High?   Expectations Too High? EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 7:21 am

EVERY time I have had Death Wobble it was because of the track bar. If you did not upgrade it now would be a good time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.alphaomegaoffroad.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Expectations Too High?   Expectations Too High? Empty

Back to top Go down

Expectations Too High?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Maryland Rock Raiders :: 4X4 TECH :: FIX-IT Q & A-
Jump to: